December 4th, 2006
Spelling: Today we reviewed prefixes (letters added to the beginning of a word: prewriting, preheat, reheat) and suffixes (letters added to the end of a word: lovable, quickly, flying). Students are working on the unit 4 spelling worksheets; a copy can be downloaded by visiting the Spelling page. The next spelling test will be on Friday, and the worksheets will be due at that time.
Cursive: Cursive worksheets will be made available tomorrow.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles. We also read our shared reading book, Esperanza Rising.
Writing: None today due to technology.
Math: None today due to a double science time.
Science: We read about current electricity in our books. We looked at how a switch is used in a flashlight. We observed that a magnet can be used to make electricity when used with a coiled wire and a capacitor. We also began discussing electrical safety and did a mini-experiment to show what would happen when a broken cord is used in a circuit. We used steel wool to simulate the broken cord, and the result was a fire. Homework is to complete Investigation Review p. 86.
Social Studies: We graded the chapter 11 worksheets and reviewed for the social studies test tomorrow, which will include these topics:
- branches of government: legislative, executive, judicial
- levels of government: local, state and federal
- services: which level is responsible for which service
- balance of powers: how the branches balance the powers of each other
- Yellows: four magnets
- Oranges: one magnet
- Reds: no magnets
Ask your student what kind of choices they made.
- Juice Volunteers for Friday, December 8: Erica and David. Click here for a full list of juice volunteers.
- We are looking for donations of cardboard tubes (toilet tissue, paper towel, wrapping paper) for class projects. The tubes can be sent in any time during the year; this project will be on-going. Thanks for any help you can give!