October 21st, 2009
Spelling: Students made their Words to Learn lists by correcting words they missed on the last spelling test. This is your student’s list of words to practice for the next test. Some students are still working on their list and may need to complete it at recess this week.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 44-46 are available and due on Friday.
Reading: Students previewed upcoming Literature Circles books.
Writing: Students completed their prewriting conferences today.
The next piece of writing will be a personal narrative that has been slightly fictionalized, or, in other words, a personal narrative based on a true story. This piece of writing will be due Friday, November 6. This will be the final writing piece of the first marking period.
Math: We reviewed the partial sums method of addition today. Homework is to complete Journal p. 40, using the partial sums method for the first three problems, and any method for the last three.
Science: None today due to library.
Social Studies: We learned that early pioneers to Michigan moved here to become farmers. This involved two of Michigan’s natural resources: forests and soil. Pioneers cleared forests, used some of the timber to build homes, and used the soil for growing crops.
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 1
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 4
- Need to make, change or check your Fall Parent Teacher Conference time? See here.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
- Our Hawaiian Beach Bash will be Friday, October 30 from 9:30-11:45 am. Sign up on our volunteer or guest list. We will need some help coordinating food and donations. Would anyone like to help coordinate that? Just contact me and I can give you further information.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.