November 23rd, 2009
Spelling: We reviewed common spelling patterns for the /er/ sound: er, ir, ur at the beginning or middle of a word and er, or, ar at the end of a word. We also noticed that r following a vowel creates a new sound (hut/hurt).
Cursive: No cursive assignment this week.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles.
Writing: We talked about adding details to help the reader to know the inner story, what the characters are thinking and feeling. Students also worked on revising and started revising conferences.
The next piece of writing will be a fiction piece, due Monday, November 30. Students should be revising their draft by now.
Math: We practiced multiplication and division fact families today. Homework is to complete Math Boxes 3.4 and StudyLink 3.4, if not done in class.
Science: We reviewed for tomorrow’s science test, which will be over these ideas:
- Forms of energy (electrical, sound, light, heat, food, motion)
- States of matter (solid, liquid, gas)
- Measuring matter (weight, mass, volume)
- Measuring tools (balance, spring scale, graduated cylinder)
- Changes in states of matter (melting, evaporation, condensation, freezing)
Students also completed a MiniQuiz over changes in matter and an Investigation Review on measuring matter.
Social Studies: None today due to art.
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 0
- Our trip to Michigan’s Capitol and Historical Museum is Tuesday, December 8. We need chaperones for the trip. Get more details.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.