December 17th, 2009
Spelling: We practiced adding prefixes to base words and remembered that adding prefixes onto words does not change the spelling of the base word.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 51-53 are available and due on Monday.
Reading: The remaining students performed their monologues, reading their selection with good tone, speed and volume.
Writing: Students worked on publishing today. The next piece of writing will be a fiction piece, due Friday, December 18. Students should be editing or publishing by now.
Math: None today due to a concert by the Neithercut Honors Choir.
Science: Students completed an experiment to test different metals to see which ones were magnetic. Students discovered that magnets are attracted to iron, steel, nickel and cobalt.
Social Studies: Students completed a test over these ideas:
- The automobile industry;
- Unions and the Sit Down Strike
- Assembly lines
- Protecting our natural resources
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 6
- Our Mexican Fiesta party is Friday, December 18. Family members are needed to help with food preparations, set up, cleanup, and with the piñata. We also need help with food donations. Click here to see our volunteer list and add your name to the bottom if you are attending.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.