October 18th, 2016
Spelling: We practiced forming irregular verbs, which are verbs that the suffix -ed cannot be added to. We also reviewed homophones today.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Three final student groups performed their plays, focusing on reading fluently with speed, tone, accuracy and volume.
Writing: We finished watching a reading of a personal narrative to see how some writers have written personal narratives just like other famous stories. Today, we counted how many times the writer used talking, action, and visual details to create scenes.
Students also continued to prewrite for their personal narrative. A third and final personal narrative will be due Monday, November 7; your student should be prewriting and gathering ideas at this point.
Math: We continued to practice subtracting decimals today using Khan Academy. Homework is to practice math for at least 15 minutes using MobyMax Math or Khan Academy and to finish decimal addition and subtraction skills. Here are some Khan Academy topics your students should be finished with this week:
Science: We finished reading about how scientists use treatment groups and control groups in a trial, what the placebo effect is, and why having a placebo group is important. Homework is to finish analysis questions 1-6 on pp. 19-21 started in class.
Social Studies: None today.
- The Fall Harvest Family Night is October 27 from 6-8 pm.
- Our class Hawaiian Beach Bash party is Friday, November 4 from 9-noon.
- Have you set up a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.