November 14th, 2016
Spelling: We talked about two uses of an apostrophe:
- In contractions to show where letters have been removed, as in don’t, won’t, he’s, I’ll.
- To show ownership, as in Jason’s shoes, Jessica’s books.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Today was a reading day in Literature Circles; some groups worked on determining important and inferring as reading strategies.
Writing: Students continued drafting today. Our next piece of writing is a fiction narrative, due Monday, November 28. Homework is to work on writing for at least 15 minutes. Your student should have over half a page drafted, and ready to finished their draft tomorrow night.
Math: We practiced dividing multiples of 10 and 100 today. Students also worked on math skills using MobyMax Math. Homework is to practice math for at least 15 minutes using MobyMax Math or Khan Academy.
Here are some Khan Academy topics your students should be finished with by now:
Science: None today due to extra time with social studies.
Social Studies: We started reading about Spanish settlements in New Spain and how people were grouped into classes, from the most powerful Spanish, to the least powerful American Indian and African slaves.
- Fall conferences are this week, November 15-17. View your conferences time here.
- Students received a fundraiser packet for a new online shopping fundraiser our school is starting. This will raise money for school events and small trips, but not 5th Grade Camp.
- Have you set a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.