November 15th, 2016
Spelling: None today due to browsing the book fair.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles.
Writing: We talked about writing a lead like a waterfall. Upstream of the waterfall, the water is calm and boring. At the waterfall, the water is moving quickly and it’s exciting. The beginning of a story should be closer to the “waterfall.” That means a student should start a story closer to the interesting action, rather than very far “upstream.” The reader shouldn’t have to wait long for the story to get to the interesting parts.Students continued drafting today. Our next piece of writing is a fiction narrative, due Monday, November 28.
Students also continued drafting today. Our next piece of writing is a fiction narrative, due Monday, November 28. Homework is to work on writing for at least 15 minutes. Your student should be nearing at least a full page of writing and have their full story drafted to the end. The rest of the week will be spent revising the draft to make it better.
Math: We continued to practice dividing multiples of 10 and 100 today. Students also worked on math skills using Khan Academy and MobyMax Math. Homework is to practice math for at least 15 minutes using MobyMax Math or Khan Academy.
Here are some Khan Academy topics your students should be finished with by now:
Science: We read today about qualitative and quantitative data. Homework is to finish analysis questions 1-5 on pp. 35-36.
Social Studies: None today due to extra time with science.
- Fall conferences are this week, November 15-17. View your conferences time here.
- Students received a fundraiser packet for a new online shopping fundraiser our school is starting. This will raise money for school events and small trips, but not 5th Grade Camp.
- Have you set a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.