December 2nd, 2016
Spelling: Today was a spelling and skill test.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Students worked on a STAR Reading test today. We’ll have results next week, but a first look seems to show that our class reading level improved!
Writing: We reviewed the idea of keeping a consistent verb tense in writing, rather than switching between past and present tense.
Students also worked on drafting today. A lot of students had a goal of writing 10-20 lines during class today. That might be something to encourage your student to do at home, too. Looking at home revision histories, sometimes I see students only write one line in a night. Having students set a goal of 10-20 new lines each night would give them a target and help them finish on time.
Our current piece of writing, a fiction narrative, is due Friday, December 16. Homework is to work on writing for at least 15 minutes. Your student should be drafting and have at least half a page at this point.
Here are some Khan Academy topics your students might have missing:
- Divide by 1-digit numbers (no remainders)
- Zeros in the dividend (no remainders)
- Zeros in the quotient (no remainders)
- Divide with remainders
- Basic multi-digit division
- Multi-digit division
Our class time to work on these skills is dwindling. It would be great if your student could catch on up any of this at home this weekend and next week.
Science: We started an activity to evaluate sample clinical trials to see if they are designed well. We’ll continue this next week.
Social Studies: Students started digital assessments for Lesson 2: English Colonies. Homework is to finish the Lesson 2 Key Ideas, Got It, and Quiz if not done in class.
- The Pizza Kit order pickup is December 8.
- Have you set a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.