December 19th, 2018
Spelling: Students finished making Words to Learn lists from words missed on the last spelling test. This is your student’s custom spelling list to study for the next test.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due Fridays. This week’s assignment is due tomorrow due to our party on Friday.
Reading: We read a book together about Mexican holiday traditions.
Writing: We continued to talk about our next writing project, a Choose Your Own Adventure fiction gamebook. Students will write a fiction adventure story with choices that the reader can make. Each choice can change how the story turns out. Students will publish their adventure as a website at Google Sites. See below for more details. Homework on weekdays is to work on writing for 15 minutes. Students should think of topic ideas for an adventure story.
This project is due Wednesday, January 23. Some ideas and resources are below:
Choose Your Own Adventure Resources
- See examples of Choose Your Own Adventure fiction websites here and here.
- Here are some good student examples:
- Look at an Underground Railroad Choose Your Own Adventure website.
- Look through the Underground Railroad Interactive History Adventure book (hint: search for “the end” to see some of the endings of the book).
- Look at some examples of different kinds of endings in a Choose Your Own Adventure Story.
- View the titles of all the Choose Your Own Adventure books to get adventure topic ideas.
- Play Zork, a text-based computer game. Here is a list of commands and directions. Here is a map of the dungeon if you get stuck or lost.
- Play Oregon Trail, another text-based computer game.
- Find a complete list of resources here.
Science: None today.
Social Studies: We read about the Mexican tradition of Las Posadas.
Character Strength: We are learning about self-control this week.
- Our Mexican Fiesta is Friday, December 21 from 9 am to noon. Here is our volunteer list to see what your student volunteer for or if you would like to be added to the guest list to help at the party.
- Is your student doing a Daily Homework Time?
Here’sa sample schedule and more ideas to get started.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.