February 23rd, 2007
***Great work, Nick, on your amazing clicking in the Talent Show!***
Cursive: Students completed a cursive quiz today.
Reading: None today due to the Talent Show.
Writing: We talked about making the ending match the beginning, comparing writing to growing plants from seeds. The grower expects to get apples from apple seeds, and will be disappointed if he finds peas instead. In the same way, the reader is looking for an ending that tells what happens in the story and matches the beginning.
Students also worked or conferenced for their next piece of writing, due March 2. Students should now be revising.
Science Inquiry: Students tested questions about electricity, static electricity, flight, ramps and rollers, magnets and light.
- Yellows: 0 magnets
- Oranges: 0 magnets
- Reds: 0 magnets
Ask your student what kind of choices they made.
The Weekly Wrap (our week in 60 seconds):
- Spelling: Word preview, Words to Learn list and contractions
- Cursive: worksheet pp. 63-65
- Reading: Literature Circles groups, connections, fix-up strategies, visualizing
- Writing: Strong endings, matching endings and beginnings, piece due March 2
- Math: Extended mutliplication facts, multiplying with distributive property (wrestling)
- Science: Light moves in straight lines, Science Inquiry
- Social Studies: Underground Railroad, Harriet Tubman, safe houses
- Juice Volunteers: A new volunteer list will be sent home soon.
- Upcoming Events: New writing piece due (March 2); Straits of Mackinaw field trip (May 11). See the class calendar for more information.
- We are looking for donations of medium and long cardboard tubes (have plenty of short ones, thanks!) for class projects. The tubes can be sent in any time during the year; this project will be on-going. Thanks for any help you can give!