March 7th, 2007
Cursive: We have reviewed the entire alphabet, upper and lower case. From now on, the weekly cursive assignment will be to write 10 cursive sentences of 7 or more words each. This assignment will be due Friday.
Reading: Today was a reading day in Literature Circles. Some groups worked on chunking unknown words, and using context clues, as reading strategies.
Writing: We reviewed the Core Democratic Values of patriotism and justice today, adding them to our mini-book. The next piece of writing, a “take a stand” persuasive writing piece, will be due on March 23.
Math: Students learned a new multiplication method called the lattice method. Homework is to finish journal pp. 131 and 133. Students not working in a group with me today were also asked to check three of their homework problems by multiplying using another method they know, and to bring back the calculations tomorrow.
Science: Today we played a game to review for tomorrow’s science test, which will include these concepts:
- forms of energy
- light and colored light
- prisms and color filters
- how light moves
Social Studies: Students completed a social studies test over the Underground Railroad.
- Yellows: 1 magnet
- Oranges: 0 magnets
- Reds: 0 magnets
Ask your student what kind of choices they made.
- Juice Volunteers: A new volunteer list will be sent home soon.
- Thank you to the nine chaperones who have volunteered for the Mackinaw trip. At this point, we have no more availability for additional chaperones. Spaces may open up as the trip gets closer.
- Spring Conference times are now available for April 2, 3 and 4! Sign up at the office windows.
- Upcoming Events: New writing piece due (March 23); Spring Conferences (April 2, 3 and 4); Straits of Mackinaw field trip (May 11). See the class calendar for more information.
- We are looking for donations of medium and long cardboard tubes (have plenty of short ones, thanks!) for class projects. The tubes can be sent in any time during the year; this project will be on-going. Thanks for any help you can give!