March 9th, 2007
***A guest teacher was with us yesterday afternoon, so those activities are included in today’s post.***
Cursive: Cursive sentences were due today; approximately ten students had to spend their recess completing this assignment.
Reading: Yesterday was a discussion day, and today a reading day in Literature Circles. Some groups worked on synthesizing and questioning as reading strategies.
Writing: We reviewed the Core Democratic Values of truth, common good, individual rights and diversity. We also brainstormed some ideas for the next piece of writing, a “take a stand” persuasive writing piece, due on March 23.
Math: Students practiced two digit multiplication (25*34) yesterday. Homework was to finish a multiplication puzzle page. Students participated in math skills today and completed a multiplication MiniQuiz.
Science: Students took a test yesterday over light, color and shadows. Today’s Science Inquiry session involved experiments with electricity, static electricity, flight, ramps and rollers, magnets and light.
- Yellows: 6 magnets
- Oranges: 0 magnets
- Reds: 0 magnets
Ask your student what kind of choices they made.
The Weekly Wrap (our week in 60 seconds):
- Spelling: -th, -eth suffix on numbers, word chains
- Cursive: ten cursive sentences
- Reading: Literature Circles groups, questioning, synthesizing, chunking, context clues
- Writing: Core Democratic Values review, “Take a Stand” writing piece
- Math: partial products multiplication, lattice multiplication
- Science: light, color and shadows test, Science Inquiry
- Social Studies: Underground Railroad quiz
- Juice Volunteers: A new volunteer list will be sent home soon.
- Thank you to the nine chaperones who have volunteered for the Mackinaw trip. At this point, we have no more availability for additional chaperones. Spaces may open up as the trip gets closer.
- Spring Conference times are now available for April 2, 3 and 4! Sign up at the office windows.
- Upcoming Events: New writing piece due (March 23); Spring Conferences (April 2, 3 and 4); Straits of Mackinaw field trip (May 11). See the class calendar for more information.
- We are looking for donations of medium and long cardboard tubes (have plenty of short ones, thanks!) for class projects. The tubes can be sent in any time during the year; this project will be on-going. Thanks for any help you can give!