April 20th, 2007
***A Guest teacher was with us yesterday, so those activities are included in today’s post***
Spelling: Yesterday, students previewed upcoming spelling words. Today, we made baseball gloves to give our showcase a spring look. The unit 9 worksheets will be due on Monday. The unit 10 worksheets are available here.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences of seven or more words are due each Friday.
Reading: Students created and presented posters yesterday to share their Literature Circles magazines with the class. We worked on the showcase today.
Writing: Yesterday and today, students worked on their “I-search” project, with the focus being on completing a PowerPoint presentation of their information. This project will be presented on Tuesday, May 1.
Math: Students played a game to practice division yesterday, and today they took a division MiniQuiz.
Science: No science yesterday due to an extra Literature Circles time. Today, students prepared for the Kids’ Inquiry Conference, which is April 27 at the University of Michigan-Flint.
Social Studies: Yesterday, students built marshmallow and toothpick Fort Michilimackinacs, then dismantled them and relocated them to “Mackinaw Island,” which is what the British did during the American Revolution.
- Yellows: 2 magnets
- Oranges: 1 magnet
- Reds: 0 magnets
Ask your student what kind of choices they made.
- Would you like to be a moderator for KIC? We are looking for parents will to moderate student presentations for Kids’ Inquiry Conference on April 27. The moderators will introduce students and start the discussion after the presentation by asking questions and asking for student questions. Contact me if you are interested.
- Juice Volunteers for Friday, May 4: Joshua W. and Alex S. Click here for a list of volunteers.
- Thank you to the nine chaperones who have volunteered for the Mackinaw trip. At this point, we have no more availability for additional chaperones. Spaces may open up as the trip gets closer.
- Upcoming Events: Kids’ Inquiry Conference (April 27); I-search PowerPoint projects due (May 1); Straits of Mackinaw field trip (May 11). See the class calendar for more information.
- We are looking for donations of medium and long cardboard tubes (have plenty of short ones, thanks!) for class projects. The tubes can be sent in any time during the year; this project will be on-going. Thanks for any help you can give!