September 26th, 2007
Spelling: Students learned that some words have silent letters and that they will need to use their spelling conscience to spell them correctly. Students have the Unit 1 spelling worksheets (download here), which will be due at the time of the spelling test next week. Find more information, including spelling lists, by clicking on the Spelling link.
Cursive: Cursive pp. 20-22 were made available today and are due Friday.
Reading: Today we practiced the Discussion Director Literature Circles job, which is to come up with some good, interesting, open-ended questions for the group to discuss. We used Esperanza Rising to write some questions for discussion.
Writing: We added to our Authority List of things we are good at and know about.
Students are also working on decorating their Writer’s Portfolio (manila folder) with pictures, magazine clippings, stickers, drawings, anything that can lay flat. This is due on Friday. The next piece of writing is due on October 12.
Math: We reviewed parallelograms and learned about polygons. Homework is to complete Math Boxes 1.5.
Science: We read in our texts about magnets. Homework is to complete Investigation Review p. 81.
Social Studies: We wrote notes in our minibooks about the Southeast and watched a few video clips as a review.
- Yellow magnets: 4
- Orange magnets: 1
- Red magnets: 0
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- We were much MORE efficient with our time today, not wasting it on poor behavior choices and repeating what was already done! It was a great improvement and as a result, we finished everything we had planned. Everyone worked hard to help our class “avoid falling into the hole.”
- Bring a “weird” object to school on Friday. Anything that others cannot immediately recognize. We are going to try to figure out each other’s strange objects for Science Inquiry.
- Here is the school supply list. I have dry erase markers for $0.25 and poly envelopes for $0.50.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- This week’s juice volunteers: Justice C. and Hannah