December 11th, 2007
***A guest teacher was with us yesterday, so those activities are included in today’s post.***
Spelling: Yesterday students reviewed the fact that the letter r following a vowel changes the vowel sound, as in the words girl, surprise and her. Students identified words that matched this pattern. No spelling today.
Cursive: Cursive pages 47-49 are available and due Friday.
Reading: Yesterday was the final reading day for this cycle of Literature Circles. Today, students planned a project to share their Literature Circles book with the class.
Writing: Students had revising conferences yesterday. Today, we talked about how stories have two parts: outer story (what characters do and say) and inner story (what characters think and feel). It’s good to have outer and inner story elements in a story. Today was also a revising day. The next piece of writing is due December 20.
Math: Yesterday, students worked on true and false numbers sentences. Homework was to finish Journal pages 65-67. Today, we played factor bingo to review factors and products in our Santa’s Secret Shop-shortened math time.
Science: Yesterday, students worked on a mini-poster to warn of the dangers of being unsafe with electricity. Homework was to finish the poster if not done in class. Today, we started reviewing weather safety with a melodrama project. Here are some resources to help with the project, and the instruction page:
Social Studies: Yesterday, students completed the government social studies test. None today due to some administrative tasks.
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Current Hours with No Orange Magnets: 6
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- Helping a family in need: our class volunteered to purchase presents for two boys whose family is having a hard time. Look for a letter that was sent home today, and ask your student what they volunteered for.
- Progress reports went home today.
- View grades, assignments and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- This week’s juice volunteers: thanks to responsible and generous families, we have a juice backlog, so no juice volunteers needed for a few weeks!