June 3rd, 2008
Spelling: Today we reviewed the fact that some words have silent letters (could, talk) and nouns ending with f or fe are made plural by changing those letters to a v (knife to knives, loaf to loaves).
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences of at least seven words each are due Friday.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles.
Writing: Students continued to work on the final writing project of the year, a compare and contrast piece called Find It, Decide It. Students should be typing ways that their two choices compare and contrast; we talked about having at least five points of comparison and contrast. The final product should be typed and use complete sentences, not bullets.
An overview of the project:
Students will work with a partner to make a decision (which CD to buy, which restaurant to go to, which vacation to take, which game to buy, which book to read, which movie to watch). Students will use the internet to find information to help them make their decision, and MrHowd.com Google Docs (docs.mrhowd.com) or Sites (sites.mrhowd.com) will be used to collaborate on the project.
This piece will be due Friday, June 6. Click here for more information.
Math: We reviewed equivalent fractions (1/2 = 2/4) today using fraction cards. Homework is to finish Journal p. 207.
Science: None today.
Social Studies: None today.
- Yellow magnets: 4
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Current Hours with No Orange Magnets: 48
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- Poetry Slam at Border’s Book Store, Thursday, June 5, 12:00 pm to 2:30 pm. We are looking for chaperones (contact me). Get a permission slip here.
- End of the Year Potluck and Picnic, Thursday, June 12, 12:30 pm. Ask you student what they volunteered for. Family members are invited!
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.