September 16th, 2008
Spelling: We practiced the idea that some words have silent letters. We’ll have a spelling test on Thursday; the spelling worksheets will be due at that time.
Cursive: Cursive pp. 18-20 are available and due Friday.
Reading: We started Literature Circles today by reading Esperanza Rising and working on writing interesting, open-ended questions (How would you feel if…? Have you ever…? Why do you think…? What would you do if…?).
Writing: Students started making a web of ideas about their first piece of writing, a personal narrative or memory that they have experienced.
The first piece of writing, a personal narrative, will be due Friday, September 26. Your student should be prewriting and planning by now.
Math: We reviewed angles and triangles today. Homework is to complete Journal p. 6.
Science: We started a unit on sound by playing a game called Drop Challenge. Groups secretly dropped various objects into a drop chamber, and the other team has to guess what item was dropped.
Social Studies: We started learning about the Southeast today. Homework is to finish the Preview Sentences of the Southeast Rivers/Water WordSplash worksheet, if not done in class.
- Yellow magnets: 7
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 3
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 16
- Hours with no orange magnets: 9
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- There’s still room on the Pride Board for students to bring photos, awards, medals-anything that can be put on a bulletin board.
- Sign up for daily email updates, including activities, homework and important information.