November 17th, 2009
Spelling: None today due to discussing upcoming field trips.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 24-26 are available and due Friday.
Reading: Today was a reading day in Literature Circles. Some groups worked on synthesizing and summarizing as a reading strategy.
Writing: We read the book Verdi by Janell Cannon to see how she developed her characters to make them seem real. Just like yesterday, we noticed these details she wrote about her characters:
- She described what the characters looked like (physical description);
- She wrote what the characters did (character action);
- She described how the other characters reacted (character action); and,
- She included dialogue and the thoughts of characters.
Students also worked on their draft. The next piece of writing will be a fiction piece, due Monday, November 30. Students should be nearing the end of their draft by now.
Math: We played Factor Bingo to practice factors and products. Homework is to complete puzzle pages 14 and 19 about prime numbers and factors.
Science: We finished our experiment about evaporation and boiling. The students noticed that some of the water placed in cups had evaporated from the heat of the room. We discussed the difference that evaporation happens only at the surface, but boiling happens throughout a liquid.
Social Studies: We learned about the start of the automotive industry and how Henry Ford pioneered the use of the assembly line.
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 0
- Need to make, change or check your Fall Parent Teacher Conference time? See here.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.