December 7th, 2009
Spelling: None today due to finishing up our Nacimiento showcase scene.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 48-50 are available and due on Monday.
Reading: Groups continued to work on Literature Circles projects in order to share their book with the class. The projects presented on Thursday and Friday of this week.
Writing: We talked about including details (sights, smells) about the setting of a story in order to make the places seem real.
Students also worked on their draft. The next piece of writing will be a fiction piece, due Friday, December 18. Students should be drafting by now.
Math: We reviewed these concepts related to multiplication:
- factors (numbers multiplied to get a product)
- products (the answer to a multiplication problem)
- multiples (more than one product, 2, 4, 6, or 5, 10, 15)
- prime numbers (numbers that have only two factors, one and itself)
We planned a project to review these ideas. Students were to choose a product, make two factor trees listing the factors below the product, write three multiples in boxes below the tree, and make a smaller factor tree with a prime number. Homework is to finish the plan for this project. Here is an example project for ideas.
Science: Students completed an experiment to test if the force of a magnet can go through different materials. Homework is to finish the experiment if not done in class.
Social Studies: Ahead of our field trip tomorrow to the Capitol, we reviewed the branches of government and how laws are made.
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 0
- Our trip to Michigan’s Capitol and Historical Museum is tomorrow, December 8. Get more details.
- Friends in Service Here (FISH) donations for our six-year old boy are due before December 11. Thanks for your generosity!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.