April 12th, 2006
Reading: We read our shared book, Esperanza Rising.
Language Arts: Today was a work day in Writer’s Workshop. Students should be publishing for this piece of writing due tomorrow, April 13.
Spelling and Cursive: Today, we reviewed how to make plural nouns, which will be the skill for tomorrow’s spelling test. Following are rules for plurals:
- Word ends in “x” or “ch”? Add “es”. (fox to foxes, itch to itches)
- Word ends in “y”? Change to “i” and add “es”. (city to cities).
- Some words have new plural forms. (tooth to teeth, mouse to mice).
- Some words don’t change plural forms. (sheep to sheep, deer to deer).
- Most words just add “s”. (pencil to pencils)
The Level Four Core Word list is an option for continued spelling practice.
Math: None due to half-day schedule.
Science: We received new science books–“Sun, Moon and Earth,” we made Sun, Moon and Earth mini-books, and we brainstormed some ideas we already know about these space bodies.
Social Studies: None due to half-day schedule.
- Students will need a brown paper grocery bag for a project on Thursday.
- Conferences are this week Monday through Wednesday; school days this week are half-days.
- Forgot when your conference is? View the conference schedule here.
- HELP WANTED: Mr. Keilitz is looking for parents willing to help with Field Day, which is at the end of May. If you are willing to help, please fill out the form here. Thanks!
- Mackinaw Fundraising Update: our class has raised $2,078, which is 77% of our goal. We have $622 remaining to reach our goal of $2,700. Visit our Straits of Mackinaw field trip page for the latest updates.
- Interested in going to Mackinaw? We have only two more chaperone spots available for the trip. Fill out the form here if you would like to go.
- McGrath Family Cookbooks are now on sale. Copies can be purchased for $10 and all proceeds go towards our Mackinaw trip. Checks are payable to McGrath.