April 11th, 2006
Reading: None today due to a shortened schedule.
Language Arts: Today’s mini-lesson was about showing, not telling, and writing small. In other words, don’t tell the reader that the party was fun–show the reader it was fun; make the reader feel that it was fun, by saying “everyone at the party laughed and played until it was time to leave.” Writing small is another way of saying “show, don’t tell,” and means to include details to prove what is being said.
I can’t stress enough the importance of this idea of proving with details, of writing small. Doing this one thing in writing will instantly improve any piece, so much so, that it will seem like magic!
Students should be editing or publishing for this piece of writing due April 13.
Spelling and Cursive: Today, students completed a Words to Learn list from a previous spelling test. A spelling test will be Thursday; the skill for the test will be making plural nouns (fox to foxes, city to cities).
The Level Four Core Word list is an option for continued spelling practice.
Math: Students learned a new method for dividing called the partial quotients method. Students (and parents) can look in their SRB or math journal for directions and example problems for this method. Homework is to complete math journal pp. 150-152.
Science: None due to half-day schedule.
Social Studies: None due to half-day schedule.
- Students will need a brown paper grocery bag for a project on Thursday.
- The PTO Goodies Factory fundraiser order forms will be collected until Wednesday this week.
- Conferences are this week Monday through Wednesday; school days this week are half-days.
- Forgot when your conference is? View the conference schedule here.
- HELP WANTED: Mr. Keilitz is looking for parents willing to help with Field Day, which is at the end of May. If you are willing to help, please fill out the form here. Thanks!
- Mackinaw Fundraising Update: our class has raised $2,078, which is 77% of our goal. We have $622 remaining to reach our goal of $2,700. Visit our Straits of Mackinaw field trip page for the latest updates.
- Interested in going to Mackinaw? We have only two more chaperone spots available for the trip. Fill out the form here if you would like to go.
- McGrath Family Cookbooks are now on sale. Copies can be purchased for $10 and all proceeds go towards our Mackinaw trip. Checks are payable to McGrath.