May 1st, 2006
Reading: Students continued to practice reading their picture books with fluency and expression. Homework for this week will be to continue reading their book to an adult at home. Students will read to classes at Anderson Elementary beginning on Wednesday.
Career Day: Students listened to presentations by a firefighter, a local politician, a Humane Society volunteer, a miniature horse breeder and rancher, a mechanical engineer and an electrical engineer.
Language Arts: None due to Career Day.
Spelling: Today, students corrected the spelling words they missed on the last spelling test. Look for the corrected Words to Learn list that should have come home today.
The Level Four Core Word list is an option for continued practice.
Math: Students learned the “standard” method of division (that’s the one that parents know!). Homework is to complete twelve division problems on a worksheet. Students were asked to do the first four problems with the standard method, and the they could choose the method for the last eight. The answers are on the back of the sheet for students to check their work.
Science: It was the Lunar Olympics! Students learned that they could jump six times higher on the moon than on earth, and jump 2.5 time farther, due to less gravity on the moon. The Investigation Review homework from last week was collected for a grade.
Social Studies: We had a mini-mystery activity about trying to determine which Indian group a particular artifact belonged to. Students used what they knew about where the Indian groups lived, and how they lived (hunted, traded, farmed) to solve the mystery. There will be a test over Chapter 3, also including the Huron Indians, on Thursday.
- Donating towards Mackinaw? Thank you for sending in any final donations within the next week or so! We are very near our class and grade level goal.
- Interested in going to Mackinaw? We have only one more chaperone spot available for the trip. Fill out the form here if you would like to go.
- Chaperones…we will need a final count of parents chaperoning the Mackinaw Trip by Tuesday, May 2.
- Thanks for volunteering! A volunteer appreciation luncheon is being planned for Monday, May 15, from 11:00 am to 1:30 pm. Please come! RSVP here or send in a note.
- The school election is Tuesday, May 2, and Magic Math Night will be the same day, from 6:00 to 8:00 pm.
- HELP WANTED: Mr. Keilitz is looking for parents willing to help with Field Day, which is May 31. If you are willing to help, please fill out the form here. Thanks!
- McGrath Family Cookbooks are on sale now. Copies can be purchased for $10 and all proceeds go towards our Mackinaw trip. Checks are payable to McGrath.