May 2nd, 2006
Reading: Students continued to practice reading their picture books with fluency and expression. Homework for this week will be to continue reading their book to an adult at home. Students will read to classes at Anderson Elementary beginning on Wednesday.
Language Arts: We learned a way to remember that persuasive writing, especially on civic issues, requires a position, a Core Democratic Value (CDV) for support, some data, and some prior knowledge in order to make a case. Students will begin to “take a stand” on issues this week. A persuasive piece of writing is due Thursday, May 11.
Spelling: Today, we reviewed the meaning of the prefix, “re-“, by students answering questions posed to them using words containing that prefix, such as, “Why might a road need resurfacing?”
The Level Four Core Word list is an option for continued practice.
Math: Students played a game to continue to practice division. Homework is for students to create and solve five division problems, with parents checking the work and signing off.
Science: We read the second Investigation of chapter one in the science book, about how movement on the moon would be different than on earth, due to the moon having one-sixth the gravity of our planet. Students also learned that while an object’s weight would be less on the moon than on earth, its mass (the amount of matter) would remain the same. Homework is to complete Investigation Review p. 42.
Social Studies: We reviewed and journaled important concepts about the Huron Indians in our First People of Michigan minibook. There will be a test over Chapter 3, also including the Huron Indians, on Thursday.
- Donating towards Mackinaw? Thank you for sending in any final donations within the next week or so! We are very near our class and grade level goal.
- Interested in going to Mackinaw? We have only one more chaperone spot available for the trip. Fill out the form here if you would like to go.
- Chaperones…we will need a final count of parents chaperoning the Mackinaw Trip by Monday, May 8.
- Thanks for volunteering! A volunteer appreciation luncheon is being planned for Monday, May 15, from 11:00 am to 1:30 pm. Please come! RSVP here or send in a note.
- HELP WANTED: Mr. Keilitz is looking for parents willing to help with Field Day, which is May 31. If you are willing to help, please fill out the form here. Thanks!
- McGrath Family Cookbooks are on sale now. Copies can be purchased for $10 and all proceeds go towards our Mackinaw trip. Checks are payable to McGrath.