May 3rd, 2006
Reading: Today, our class visited Anderson Elementary and read to four classrooms. We will read to three more classrooms on Thursday and Friday. Homework for this week will be to continue reading their book to an adult at home, if your student hasn’t yet read to a classroom.
Language Arts: We starting writing position papers on the controversial subject of students chewing gum in school. We spent class time planning pro and con arguments, including Core Democratic Values (CDVs), data, and prior knowledge as evidence. Homework is for students to write a rough draft of their “Take a Stand” paper about chewing gum in school. A persuasive piece of writing is due Thursday, May 11.
Spelling: None due to visiting Anderson Elementary.
The Level Four Core Word list is an option for continued practice.
Math: Students applied their skills with division to solve some number stories, using a chart to plan their solutions. Homework is for students to complete math journal pp. 153-154. StudyLink 6.2 and 6.3 were also passed out, and these are extra credit assignments worth one table point. We are at the end of our study on division, and will have a test over division, number stories, and remainders next week.
The final major topic of the year is fractions, with mini-units in perimeter, area and symmetry.
Science: We learned today that the sun is much larger than the earth (one million earths could fit in the sun), and that the sun is very, very far away. We read about the features of the sun, including sunspots, flares and prominences. Homework is finish reading pp. 27-30 and to complete Investigation Review p. 43.
Social Studies: We played a game to review for tomorrow’s test over Chapter 3, also including the Huron Indians.
- Donating towards Mackinaw? Thank you for sending in any final donations within the next week or so! We are very near our class and grade level goal.
- Interested in going to Mackinaw? We have only one more chaperone spot available for the trip. Fill out the form here if you would like to go.
- Chaperones…we will need a final count of parents chaperoning the Mackinaw Trip by Monday, May 8.
- Thanks for volunteering! A volunteer appreciation luncheon is being planned for Monday, May 15, from 11:00 am to 1:30 pm. Please come! RSVP here or send in a note.
- HELP WANTED: Mr. Keilitz is looking for parents willing to help with Field Day, which is May 31. If you are willing to help, please fill out the form here. Thanks!
- McGrath Family Cookbooks are on sale now. Copies can be purchased for $10 and all proceeds go towards our Mackinaw trip. Checks are payable to McGrath.