May 4th, 2006
Reading: Today, our class visited Anderson Elementary and read to Ms. Goodall’s classroom. We will read to two more classrooms on Friday. Homework for this week will be to continue reading their book to an adult at home, if your student hasn’t yet read to a classroom.
Language Arts: Students had mini-conferences and revised their “Take a Stand” position paper on chewing gum in school. We also reviewed the elements of persuasive writing, and started to discuss next week’s writing project: students will explore their own controversial subject, complete surveys, and write a position paper. An example of this would be whether or not students should be allowed to wear slippers in school, or to dye their hair. Students will work on this project next week; it will be due Thursday, May 11.
Spelling: None due to visiting Anderson Elementary.
The Level Four Core Word list is an option for continued practice.
Math: None due to Relay for Life Basketball assembly.
Science: We reviewed food chains and food webs today by playing Food Chain Rummy and Food Chain Top-It. Students practiced determining where energy moves in a food chain: grass –> mouse –> cat, with the arrows showing energy movement.
Social Studies: We started the Chapter 3 test, and will finish it tomorrow or Monday.
- Donating towards Mackinaw? Thank you for sending in any final donations within the next week or so! We are very near our class and grade level goal.
- Interested in going to Mackinaw? We have only one more chaperone spot available for the trip. Fill out the form here if you would like to go.
- Chaperones…we will need a final count of parents chaperoning the Mackinaw Trip by Monday, May 8.
- Thanks for volunteering! A volunteer appreciation luncheon is being planned for Monday, May 15, from 11:00 am to 1:30 pm. Please come! RSVP here or send in a note.
- HELP WANTED: Mr. Keilitz is looking for parents willing to help with Field Day, which is May 31. If you are willing to help, please fill out the form here. Thanks!
- McGrath Family Cookbooks are on sale now. Copies can be purchased for $10 and all proceeds go towards our Mackinaw trip. Checks are payable to McGrath.