May 10th, 2006
Reading: None today due to finishing up a spring project. We’re sworn to secrecy until after this weekend. Mum’s the word, literally.
Language Arts: Today students finished up their bar graphs showing their survey results, and began a rough draft of their Take a Stand project. The final persuasive piece will be due Monday, May 15.
Spelling: We looked at how mnemonic devices, such as saying piece of pie, are helpful to spell difficult words. A spelling test will be taken tomorrow. The skill will be making plural forms of nouns.
The Level Four Core Word list is an option for continued practice.
Math: We practiced using a coordiate grid to locate objects. Homework is to complete math journal pp. 160-162. A test over division, remainders, number stories and coordiate points will be taken Monday.
Science: Students continued to work on their Space Fashion Show projects. Students are planning their costume and writing fashion show scripts. See the requirements for more information. The Space Fashion Show will be on Tuesday, May 16, and will be worth a test grade.
Social Studies: We began our study of Europeans arriving in Michigan by learning about why Europeans came to North America, and reviewing the history of colonization.
- Please complete and return a permission slip by Friday morning.
- Donating towards Mackinaw? Thank you for sending in any final donations within the next week or so! We are very near our class and grade level goal.
- Thanks for volunteering! A volunteer appreciation luncheon is being planned for Monday, May 15, from 11:00 am to 1:30 pm. Please come! RSVP here or send in a note.
- HELP WANTED: Mr. Keilitz is looking for parents willing to help with Field Day, which is May 31. If you are willing to help, please fill out the form here. Thanks!
- McGrath Family Cookbooks are on sale now. Copies can be purchased for $10 and all proceeds go towards our Mackinaw trip. Checks are payable to McGrath.