March 14th, 2007
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences of seven or more words each are due Friday.
Reading: Today was the last discussion day for this Literature Circles cycle. Students will begin working on group project tomorrow to share their book with the class, and a new cycle will start next week.
Writing: Students started to collect data for their “Take a Stand” opinion piece. Homework is to survey at least seven adults about their question so that students get to see other sides of their argument. This piece of writing will be due Friday, March 23.
Math: Students practiced multiplying three digit numbers by two digit numbers. Homework is to complete a multiplication puzzle page.
Science: Today students used their listening skills in the “Drop Challenge.” Students took turns dropping items into a circular drop chamber, and their opponents had to guess what item made the sound.
Social Studies: We finished reading about French explorers discovering Michigan and founding settlements in the Upper Peninsula. Homework is to complete the “alphabet soup” organizer that was started yesterday.
- Yellows: 2 magnets
- Oranges: 0 magnets
- Reds: 0 magnets
Ask your student what kind of choices they made.
- Juice Volunteers: A new volunteer list will be sent home soon.
- Thank you to the nine chaperones who have volunteered for the Mackinaw trip. At this point, we have no more availability for additional chaperones. Spaces may open up as the trip gets closer.
- Spring Conference times are now available for April 2, 3 and 4! Sign up at the office windows.
- Upcoming Events: New writing piece due (March 23); Magic Show (March 23); Spring Conferences (April 2, 3 and 4); Straits of Mackinaw field trip (May 11). See the class calendar for more information.
- We are looking for donations of medium and long cardboard tubes (have plenty of short ones, thanks!) for class projects. The tubes can be sent in any time during the year; this project will be on-going. Thanks for any help you can give!