March 15th, 2007
Spelling: We reviewed compound words today. We will have a spelling test tomorrow, and the skill test will assess compound words. The unit 8 spelling worksheets (available here) will be due on Monday.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences of seven or more words each are due Friday.
Reading: Today students planned their Literature Circles project. We also previewed new class library books purchased from the book order.
Writing: Students learned the important parts of a “Take a Stand” opinion piece, using the mnemonic: Do cows drive everywhere during every race?, which stands for decide, core democratic value, define the core democratic value, explain how it matches the question, data, explain the data, and restate the decision. This piece of writing will be due Friday, March 23.
Math: Students practiced multiplying three digit numbers by two digit numbers by playing Multiplication Top It Race to 500,000!
Science: Today students sent messages to their teammates, using a code of sounds to represent letters.
Social Studies: We started reading about the fur trade and began an “etch-a-sketch” organizer.
- Yellows: 0 magnets
- Oranges: 1 magnets
- Reds: 0 magnets
Ask your student what kind of choices they made.
- Juice Volunteers: A new volunteer list will be sent home soon.
- Thank you to the nine chaperones who have volunteered for the Mackinaw trip. At this point, we have no more availability for additional chaperones. Spaces may open up as the trip gets closer.
- Spring Conference times are now available for April 2, 3 and 4! Sign up at the office windows.
- Upcoming Events: New writing piece due (March 23); Magic Show (March 23); Spring Conferences (April 2, 3 and 4); Straits of Mackinaw field trip (May 11). See the class calendar for more information.
- We are looking for donations of medium and long cardboard tubes (have plenty of short ones, thanks!) for class projects. The tubes can be sent in any time during the year; this project will be on-going. Thanks for any help you can give!