March 16th, 2007
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences of seven or more words were due today.
Reading: Today students continued planning their Literature Circles projects, which will be due on Friday.
Writing: Students reviewed the important parts of a “Take a Stand” opinion piece, using the mnemonic: Do cows drive everywhere during every race?, which stands for decide, core democratic value, define the core democratic value, explain how it matches the question, data, explain the data, and restate the decision. Students also started their rough draft for this piece of writing, which will be due Friday, March 23.
Math: Students completed a multiplication MiniQuiz and took part in Math Skills.
Science Inquiry: Today students did experiments with light, electricity, static electricity, magnets, flight, ramps and rollers, and more.
- Yellows: 3 magnets
- Oranges: 0 magnets
- Reds: 0 magnets
Ask your student what kind of choices they made.
The Weekly Wrap (our week in 60 seconds):
- Spelling: consonant blends, compound words, spelling test
- Cursive: ten cursive sentences
- Reading: Literature Circles groups, inferring, projects
- Writing: “Take a Stand” writing piece
- Math: multiplication MiniQuiz, math skills
- Science: sound, Science Inquiry
- Social Studies: French explorers, short-cut to Asia
- Juice Volunteers: A new volunteer list will be sent home soon.
- Thank you to the nine chaperones who have volunteered for the Mackinaw trip. At this point, we have no more availability for additional chaperones. Spaces may open up as the trip gets closer.
- Spring Conference times are now available for April 2, 3 and 4! Sign up at the office windows.
- Upcoming Events: New writing piece due (March 23); Magic Show (March 23); Spring Conferences (April 2, 3 and 4); Straits of Mackinaw field trip (May 11). See the class calendar for more information.
- We are looking for donations of medium and long cardboard tubes (have plenty of short ones, thanks!) for class projects. The tubes can be sent in any time during the year; this project will be on-going. Thanks for any help you can give!