March 20th, 2007
Class activities for Monday, March 19 and Tuesday, March 20
***A guest teacher was with us yesterday, and those activities are included in today’s post.***
Spelling: Yesterday was a preview of upcoming spelling words, and today students prepared their Words to Learn list by correcting the words they missed on the last spelling test. The unit 9 spelling worksheets are available here.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences of seven or more words each are due Friday.
Reading: Yesterday and today, students have been planning and working on their Literature Circles projects, which will be presented on Thursday and Friday.
Writing: Students completed their “Take a Stand” rough drafts yesterday and had a revising conference. Today was a work day for students. This piece of writing will be due Friday, March 23.
Math: Students worked on rounding yesterday. Homework was journal pp. 136, 138, 140, and 142. Today we reviewed the homework and worked on rounding. Homework today is to complete a rounding worksheet.
Science: Yesterday students sent messages to their teammates using a code of sounds to represent letters. Homework was to complete the “Dropping In” response sheet. Today groups completed an experiment with a long gong (coat hanger attached to a cup with string) or a tuning fork.
Social Studies: Students finished learning about the fur trade yesterday and completed the “etch-a-sketch” organizer for homework. Today we started learning about the French and Indian War and started a SQ3R organizer.
- Yellows: 1 magnet
- Oranges: 1 magnet
- Reds: 0 magnets
Ask your student what kind of choices they made.
- Juice Volunteers: A new volunteer list will be sent home soon.
- Thank you to the nine chaperones who have volunteered for the Mackinaw trip. At this point, we have no more availability for additional chaperones. Spaces may open up as the trip gets closer.
- Spring Conference times are now available for April 2, 3 and 4! Sign up at the office windows.
- Upcoming Events: New writing piece due (March 23); Magic Show (March 23); Spring Conferences (April 2, 3 and 4); Straits of Mackinaw field trip (May 11). See the class calendar for more information.
- We are looking for donations of medium and long cardboard tubes (have plenty of short ones, thanks!) for class projects. The tubes can be sent in any time during the year; this project will be on-going. Thanks for any help you can give!