December 7th, 2007
Spelling: We learned that the letter r following a vowel changes the vowel sound, as in the words girl, surprise and her.
Cursive: None this week.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles. Some groups worked on inferring as a reading strategy.
Writing: We talked about how it is easier for a reader to picture a character if the writer includes details about what the character looks like. Students should be near the end of their draft and ready to revise by Monday. The next piece of writing is due December 20.
Math: We learned that division facts are really just multiplication facts turned around. Students practiced identifying multiplication and division fact families, and practiced some division facts. Homework is to finish Journal pages 57-58.
Science: Students completed a science experiment to see what would happen if unsafe electrical equipment were used in a circuit. Students connected some steel wool to a circuit with three batteries and saw that the steel wool overheated and sparked.
Social Studies: None on Fridays. There will be a test on Monday over these concepts:
- Branches of government: legislative, executive, judicial
- Levels of government: local, state, national
- Services of government (fire and safety, hospitals, education, transportation, military) and how different levels pay for different services
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 3
- Current Hours with No Magnets: 113
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- New school day times start Monday: starting at 8:50, ending at 3:50
- View grades, assignments and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- This week’s juice volunteers: thanks to responsible and generous families, we have a juice backlog, so no juice volunteers needed for a few weeks!