January 11th, 2008
Spelling: Today we reviewed the common spelling patterns for the /j/ sound: dge, ge, gi, gy and j. This will be the skill assessed on next week’s spelling test.
Cursive: Cursive pages 50-52 were due today.
Reading: Students completed a narrative reading test today. No Literature Circles due to finishing up weather spotter training.
Writing: Today was the final revising day for our class book entitled, Freedom Fighters: Our way of saying thank you to our troops. Homework is to have an editing conference at home this weekend and be ready to publish on Monday.
Contest entries for the book’s cover illustration, dedication page, and interior illustration are due on Monday.
Orders for a copy of the book are due on Thursday, January 17.
Math: Students completed a MiniQuiz today over number sentences, parentheses, open sentences and number stories.
Science: We finished up our weather spotter training today, learning the difference between tornadoes, land spouts , gustnados, wall clouds, funnel clouds, shelf clouds and tail clouds. View the presentation below. The Etch-a-Sketch organizer completed earlier this week will be due on Monday. We will also have a test over electricity, weather and safety early next week.
Social Studies: None on Fridays.
- Yellow magnets: 1
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 3
- Current Hours with No Orange Magnets: 112
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- The second marking period and first semester ends on Thursday, January 17; all work for this marking period must be turned in by that date.
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- This week’s juice volunteers: thanks to responsible and generous families, we have a juice backlog, so no juice volunteers needed for a few weeks!