March 26th, 2008
Spelling: We finished reviewing prefixes for the word “not,” including il-, ir-, im-, and dis-.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences of at least seven words each are due Friday.
Reading: Students continued to work on their Literature Circles projects today. The projects will be presented tomorrow.
Writing: Students continued to work on their I-Search project (click here for more details) by refining and narrowing their research question. Homework is to finalize their research question by Friday.
A summary of the project:
Students will research their I-Search question using print and internet sources and create a digital presentation using PowerPoint or MrHowd.com Google Docs presentation software. Students are collecting their research on our I-Search 2008 class wiki. Later, students will present their findings to other students who sign up to attend their talk. The presentation slides will be turned in to portfolios for a writing grade.
The I-Search presentation is due April 25.
Science: Students completed a series of experiments to discover how pitch is related to the length of the vibrating objects. Students noticed that short objects make high pitches, and long objects make low pitches. Homework is to finish the experiment worksheets if not done in class.
Social Studies: We watched video clips about Father Marquette and the fur trade in Michigan. We also started learning about the fur trade, using an Etch-a-Sketch organizer. We’ll work on this more later.
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Current Hours with No Orange Magnets: 7
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- This week’s juice volunteers (full list): Jadin and Hannah. Thanks for your generosity!
- March is Reading Month. Class goal: 100 books (limit of two “just right” picture books for each student) by March 28!
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- Visit our Mackinaw Field Trip page for more information on our May 9 trip.