October 22nd, 2008
Spelling: We learned that the letter h changes the sound of some letters: (cat/chat, ten/then, sell/shell).
Cursive: Cursive pp. 30-32 are available and due Friday. Students also completed a cursive quiz today. Some students are still working on balancing speed and neatness. I told the class that practicing five minutes a night will make a big difference over time.
Reading: Today was a reading day in Literature Circles. Some groups worked on the strategy of using clues to make inferences.
Writing: We talked about making a beginning, middle and end chart to write notes for prewriting. This BME Chart can be used as a checklist during drafting to make sure all important events are written into the story.
A personal narrative, based on a true story (slightly fictionalized), is due November 7. This will be the final writing grade of the first marking period. Your student should be prewriting by now.
Science: We completed an experiment that challenged students to light a flashlight bulb using only one wire and a battery. Later, students will use this understanding of an electrical circuit to study light. Homework is to finish the Sparky’s Light Kit experiment if not done in class.
Social Studies: None today due to library.
- Yellow magnets: 2
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 5
- Hours with no orange magnets (record: 29): 79
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- Aloha! Want to come to our Hawaiian Beach Bash on October 31? Or can you help donate items? Click here to add your name or donations. (If you can’t come, but want to donate, enter your student’s name on the guest list).
- Check your Fall Parent Teacher Conference time online.
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- Sign up for daily email updates, including activities, homework and important information.