October 23rd, 2008
Spelling: We continued to see that the letter h changes the sound of some letters: (were/where, phone). We also discussed how pieces of words can help to discover the meaning of the word (automobile = self+moving, photograph = light + writing, phonograph = sound + writing, television = moving over a distance + seeing).
Cursive: Cursive pp. 30-32 are available and due Friday.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles. Due to some poor class choices and a lack of self-control, we didn’t finish our discussions and will continue this at recess tomorrow.
Writing: Students had prewriting conferences today.
A personal narrative, based on a true story (slightly fictionalized), is due November 7. This will be the final writing grade of the first marking period. Your student should be drafting by now.
Math: We used miniboxes of raisins to look at data landmarks. We discovered the maximum, minimum, mode and range of raisins in our class raisin boxes. Homework is to finish Math Boxes 2.5.
Science: We reviewed the electrical circuit experiment from yesterday and extended it. Today, students created a circuit with a bulb, two wires and a battery.
Social Studies: We learned that the Midwest is rich in iron, used to make steel.
- Yellow magnets: 1
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 6
- Hours with no orange magnets (record: 29): 87
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- Aloha! Want to come to our Hawaiian Beach Bash on October 31? Or can you help donate items? Click here to add your name or donations. (If you can’t come, but want to donate, enter your student’s name on the guest list).
- Check your Fall Parent Teacher Conference time online.
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- Sign up for daily email updates, including activities, homework and important information.