December 2nd, 2008
Cursive: Cursive pp. 48-50 are available and due Friday.
Reading: Students continued to work on Literature Circles projects to share their books with the class; the projects will be shared Friday.
Students also were given an Information Search as homework. Their job is to find out the origin of the name, “poinsettia.”Students can use the internet, books, email, ask people, or call experts. The answer should be printed out, photocopied, or written down. It is an important skill to be able to locate information, and this task addresses that skill.
Writing: The class finished publishing our class book, If I Were President…, and their Portfolio Piece Reflection was due into portfolios.
Our next piece will be a fictional story, due into portfolios by December 19.
Math: Students cut out their multiplication and division fact triangles, made an envelope for them in their Math Journals, and sorted the facts into “know” and “don’t know” piles. Homework is to study the “don’t know” pile for at least five minutes.
Science: None today due to an extra session with technology.
Technology: Students set up their own, personal version of the Firefox browser to use at school. Parents, check out this kid-friendly, and kid-safe version of Firefox to use at home (it’s free). Students also completed a reading assessment during this time.
Social Studies: We learned about the national level of government, on which Michigan’s government is patterned. Homework is to complete a US Branches of Government worksheet.
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 0
- Hours with no yellow magnets (record: 7): 7
- Days with no orange magnets (record: 24): 34
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- Children’s Speller and Dictionary Order due Friday, December 5. Franklin has a sale in December every year. This dictionary, which we have in class, is on sale for $5 off, plus free shipping. Here’s more information and an order form.
- Capitol Field Trip on Tuesday, December 9. Click here for more information or a permission slip. Let me know if you would like to chaperone.
- Donations for sponsored family: our class will be collecting donations for a few families in need this holiday season. A letter went home with students explaining food and gift donations. Our class will be donating items for a 7-year old boy. Several students volunteered to donate one of the gifts from the shopping list provided; others volunteered to donate wrapping paper and tape. We will wrap the gifts on Friday, December 12. Thanks for helping this family have a wonderful Christmas!
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- Sign up for daily email updates, including activities, homework and important information.
- This week’s juice volunteers: Lauren and Emily