January 5th, 2009
Spelling: We played spelling Bingo to review for tomorrow’s skill test over /j/ spelling patterns. We will also have a spelling test tomorrow.
Cursive: Cursive pp. 54-56 are available and due tomorrow. Cursive pp. 57-59 will be due this Friday. Students are now asked to fill out their planners in cursive, and we are nearing the end of reviewing the cursive alphabet.
Reading: Students received new magazines today to read in their existing Literature Circles groups. This informational reading will “balance their diet,” having just read fiction books.
Writing: Mrs. Houser taught a lesson today on the five types of details:
- Physical description;
- Setting; and
- Character action.
Students also turned in to their portfolios their piece of fiction from December 19. We will be working on fiction for the near term and today was a prewriting day for another piece of fiction, due January 23.
Math: We talked about strategies for solving number stories and problems:
- Understand the problem;
- Create a plan;
- Carry out the plan; and
- Check the answer.
Homework is to finish solving number stories on Journal pp. 62-63.
Science: Students completed an experiment today testing what types of materials are attracted to a magnet.
Social Studies: We read about the role glaciers played in forming Michigan’s landforms and water bodies. Homework is to finish the Alphabet Soup organizer that was started in class.
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 3
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 0
- Hours with no yellow magnets (record: 31): 7
- Days with no orange magnets (record: 39): 3
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- Our Mexican Fiesta party is rescheduled for Friday, January 9. Family members are needed to help with food preparations, set up, cleanup, and with the piñata. Click here to see our volunteer list and add your name to the bottom if you are attending. Add your name by clicking here. Please let me know if there are any problems with donations due to rescheduling the party.
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- This week’s juice volunteers: None scheduled yet.