January 6th, 2009
Spelling: Students completed the Unit 5 spelling and skill test today.
Cursive: Cursive pp. 54-56 are available and due tomorrow. Cursive pp. 57-59 will be due this Friday. Students are now asked to fill out their planners in cursive, and we are nearing the end of reviewing the cursive alphabet.
Reading: Today was a reading day in Literature Circles. Some groups practiced identifying main ideas as a reading strategy.
Writing: We talked about developing the inner story in a piece of fiction so that the reader can know how a character feels and thinks.
Today was a prewriting day for students. A piece of fiction is due January 23.
Math: We learned about number sentences and how they can be true, false or unsolvable (can’t tell). Homework is to finish Journal pp. 65-67.
Science: We reviewed which objects from our experiment yesterday were attracted to magnets and learned that magnets only attract objects made out of iron or steel.
Social Studies: We read about weather and climate. Weather is how hot, cold, wet or dry a place is, and climate is what the weather is like over a period of years. Students started a “News Flash” organizer about writing headlines to tell the main idea of each section of reading. This will be finished in class or at home tomorrow.
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 3
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 0
- Hours with no yellow magnets (record: 31): 12
- Days with no orange magnets (record: 39): 4
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- Our Mexican Fiesta party is rescheduled for Friday, January 9. Family members are needed to help with food preparations, set up, cleanup, and with the piñata. Click here to see our volunteer list and add your name to the bottom if you are attending. Add your name by clicking here. Please let me know if there are any problems with donations due to rescheduling the party.
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- This week’s juice volunteers: None scheduled yet.