January 15th, 2009
Class activities for Thursday, January 15
Spelling: We shuffled letter cards around to create new words.
Cursive: Cursive pp. 60, 61, and 63 are available and Friday.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles. Some groups worked on questioning as a reading strategy.
Writing: None today due to technology. In technology, we began writing a Choose Your Own Adventure story. Here’s the one we started, and students are continuing to work on it.
Today was scheduled to be a revising day for the students’ next piece of fiction, due January 23.
Math: None today due to art.
Science: We reviewed induced magnetism and read about how ancient Egyptians and Romans used magnets to make “dancing” sculptures and statues that “floated.” We made models using magnets to show how sculptures could dance by repelling magnets, and statues could float by attracting magnets.
Social Studies: We played a game to review for a geography test tomorrow over these concepts:
- Michigan’s geography
- Climate and weather
- Michigan’s natural resources
Homework is to complete Review worksheet pp. 1 and 3.
- Yellow magnets: 3
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 7
- Hours with no yellow magnets (record: 31): 0
- Days with no orange magnets (record: 39): 10
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- This week’s juice volunteers: Mackenzie and Emma