January 21st, 2009
Class activities for Wednesday, January 21
Spelling: Today we reviewed the idea that some words have silent letters. We also noticed that a silent e changes the vowel sound: pin/pine, cut/cute, hop/hope.
With our school spelling bee coming up on Friday, here are a few online spelling bees and games:
- BigIQBee Online Spelling Bee (this one is for kids)
- Scripps National Spelling word practice (look at the bottom right to pick the words)
- VisualThesaurus Online Spelling Bee (it’s hard)
- Dateline Scripps Howard National Bee Interactive Spelling Bee (these are real spelling bee words, and they are hard)
Cursive: Cursive pp. 62 and 64 are available and Friday.
Reading: None today due to Career Fair.
Writing: None today due to Career Fair.
Today was scheduled to be an editing day for the students’ next piece of fiction, due January 23.
Math: None today due to Career Fair.
We’ll have a math test Friday over these concepts:
- Multiplication and division facts;
- Number stories;
- Number sentences (true/false, with parentheses, solve for the missing number); and,
- Logic problems.
Science: None due to library.
Social Studies: Students completed a social studies test today.
Career Fair: Today was our annual Career Fair. We heard about the following careers:
- Detroit Pistons coach
- Yacht Steward
Students also explored careers using the Career Cruising website. Students can access this site at home and see what careers are match up with their interests, or explore careers they are curious about. I emailed students log in information.
- Yellow magnets: 1
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 3
- Hours with no yellow magnets (record: 31): 3
- Days with no orange magnets (record: 39): 11
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- This week’s juice volunteers: Alyssa and Riley