January 22nd, 2009
Spelling: Today we practiced adding the ful suffix to words. We noticed that a silent e is not dropped for this suffix, and also that the suffix has only one l. We also practiced removing suffixes from words. We will have a spelling test tomorrow and the skill test will be about suffixes.
With our school spelling bee coming up on Friday, here are a few online spelling bees and games:
- BigIQBee Online Spelling Bee (this one is for kids)
- Scripps National Spelling word practice (look at the bottom right to pick the words)
- VisualThesaurus Online Spelling Bee (it’s hard)
- Dateline Scripps Howard National Bee Interactive Spelling Bee (these are real spelling bee words, and they are hard)
Cursive: Cursive pp. 62 and 64 are available and Friday.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles.
Writing: Mrs. Houser presented a lesson on writing details about character action. Today was scheduled to be a publishing day for the students’ next piece of fiction, due tomorrow, January 23.
Math: We reviewed logic problems and practiced for tomorrow’s test, which is about these concepts:
- Multiplication and division facts;
- Number stories;
- Number sentences (true/false, with parentheses, solve for the missing number); and,
- Logic problems.
Social Studies: We talked about Michigan’s two very different regions, the Upper and Lower Peninsulas. Students also began a project in which they will work as a team to write a “tour guide script” about a given topic of Michigan’s regions. They will also draw some window scenes that match their topic. Later, we will have a “field trip” in which students guide us through Michigan and point out significant sights.
- Yellow magnets: 2
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 5
- Hours with no yellow magnets (record: 31): 1
- Days with no orange magnets (record: 39): 12
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.