May 14th, 2009
School ends over the summer, but the learning doesn’t have to stop! Here are a few ways to keep your student learning over the summer and ready for fifth grade (click the links below for more about each program):
- Grand Rapids Academic Summer Program (GRASP). This is a program for reading and math. The cost is a very reasonable $61 for both subjects. I highly recommend this program due to it’s inexpensive cost and easy-to-use format.
- Grand Blanc Schools Summer School Program, June 22-July 22. This program offers instruction in reading and math. The cost is $150 per class. Enroll in the McGrath office.
- University of Detroit Mercy Summer 2009 Reading Skills Programs for Children. The class meets at Mott Community College once a week for five weeks, and costs $269.
- The Learning Center of Southwest Flint Summer Program. This is a one-on-one tutoring program.
- Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge. Resources for parents and students to get them reading this summer. Research says students need to read 5-6 chapter books over the summer to keep their reading skills fresh going into the next school year (students who don’t read over the summer usually experience a drop in their reading level).
- McFarlen Library Summer Reading Program. Stop by to enroll, or visit the website to check out upcoming events.