September 18th, 2009
Class activities for Friday, September 18
Spelling: Students completed an achievement spelling test today. This will be used as a starting point to gauge student growth in spelling over the year.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 12-14 were due today.
Reading: We started reading Esperanza Rising as a class today. Next week, we’ll use this book to introduce Literature Circles.
Writing: Students continued to work on the rough draft of their first piece of writing, a personal narrative about one of their own memories, due into portfolios Friday, September 25.
Math: None today due to Constitution Day activities.
Science: None today.
Social Studies: This week celebrated Constitution Day. To learn about the freedoms our Constitution gives to us, we watched some SchoolHouse Rock video clips about why are country doesn’t have kings, how we started the Revolution, and the Preamble to the Constitution.
We learned and sang the Preamble to the Constitution:
We the people
In order to form a more perfect union,
Establish justice, insure domestic tranquility,
Provide for the common defense,
Promote the general welfare and
Secure the blessings of liberty
To ourselves and our posterity
Do ordain and establish this Constitution
For the United States of America.
Here’s the song:
We also watched a movie that showed what America would be like without the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Click here to watch the movie.
- Yellow magnets: 2
- Orange magnets: 2
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week: 17
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet. Need help with SnapGrades?
- Writing Portfolios were due today? Students were to decorate them with drawings, pictures, newspaper or magazine clippings, stickers, or anything else that can be attached to the folder and laminated. If it’s not turned in yet, get it in by Tuesday in order to be laminated.
- Grand Blanc has a new Wellness Policy (PDF).
- Would you like to volunteer for a class event? Download and print a volunteer information form (PDF).
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.