September 16th, 2009
Spelling: We reviewed long and short vowel sounds by changing words with short vowel sounds into words with long sounds (sat > seat, got > goat). We also noticed that short vowel sounds are made by one vowel, but long vowel sounds are made by two vowels.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 12-14 are available in class and due on Friday.
Reading: Students performed skits today to remind the class how to handle class and library books carefully. We also practiced the 5-Finger Rule, which is a strategy to select books. Students read a full page (about 100 words) and hold up a finger for each word they don’t understand (names don’t count). If a student gets to five fingers, the book is too difficult. If there are no fingers held up, the book may be too easy. All other books may be just right.
Writing: Students made a treasure map of buried stories today. They drew a map of a special, familiar place and placed an x at each spot where they had an interesting memory. Each memory could be a possible story. The first piece of writing, a personal narrative story about one of their own memories, will be due into portfolios Friday, September 25. Decorated portfolios are due this Friday!
Math: We continued to review rays, lines and line segments.
Science: None today due to library.
- Yellow magnets: 4
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week: 8
- Writing Portfolios are due on Friday! Students can decorate them with drawings, pictures, newspaper or magazine clippings, stickers, or anything else that can be attached to the folder and laminated.
- View the school supply list.
- Grand Blanc has a new Wellness Policy (PDF).
- Would you like to volunteer for a class event? Download and print a volunteer information form (PDF).
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date. View
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.