October 9th, 2009
Spelling: We reviewed long i spelling patterns by looking at some idioms:
- sit tight = be patient
- on the ball = attentive
- a whale of a time = having a good time
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 35-37 were due today. Students also completed a cursive quiz today. The class median grade for cursive is currently at 3+, which means that at least half the class “needs further development” in cursive writing. Practicing five minutes a night is a great way to improve speed and accuracy.
Reading: Students worked on their Literature Circles projects today to tell the class about their book. The projects will be presented next week.
Students also completed a STAR reading test. The STAR test is a computerized, adaptive test, adjusting to each student’s reading level. The results of this test are used to place students into reading groups, and also to track individual and class growth. The class average reading level for October was 4.13, giving us a class goal of reaching 5.03 by the end of the school year. You can check your student’s reading level by visiting SnapGrades.
Writing: Students worked on revising their piece of writing today.
The next piece of writing, a personal narrative, will be due Friday, October 16. Students should be revising by now.
Math: None today due to working on a writing prompt for the McGrath Writing Committee.
Science: Students completed an experiment today about matter, solids, liquids and gases. Homework is to finish the experiment if not done in class.
Social Studies: None on Fridays.
- Yellow magnets: 1
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week: 6
- Would you like to volunteer for a class event? Download and print a volunteer information form (PDF).
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
- Tentative plans are being made for our Halloween party, which will be a Hawaiian Beach Bash! It looks like our party will be Friday, October 30 from 9:30 am until around noon. We will need some help coordinating food and donations. Would anyone like to help coordinate that? Just contact me and I can give you further information.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.