December 1st, 2009
Spelling: We started learning about prefixes, suffixes and base words. Students learned these things:
- Adding prefixes on to the beginning of a base words doesn’t change the spelling of a base word;
- Most suffixes are just added on to the end of a word; and
- For words with a silent e, the silent e must be dropped before adding a suffix beginning with a vowel.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 27, 28 and 47 are available and due on Friday.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles.
Writing: We read the book Girl Wonder by Deborah Hopkinson and talked about organizing writing by using paragraphs, chapters, or line breaks. Organizing helps the reader to understand the story better because similar ideas are organized together.
The next piece of writing will be a fiction piece, due Friday, December 18. Students should be prewriting by now.
Math: None today due to art.
Science: Students completed a matter and energy test today.
Social Studies: We watched a video to compare the automobile industry from the past to the auto industry of today.
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 1
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 3
- School starts at 11:05 am tomorrow due to professional development for teachers.
- Children’s Speller and Dictionary Order due Friday, December 4. Franklin has a sale in December every year. This dictionary, which we have in class, is on sale for $5 off, plus free shipping.
- Our trip to Michigan’s Capitol and Historical Museum is Tuesday, December 8. We need chaperones for the trip. Get more details.
- Friends in Service Here (FISH) donations for our six-year old boy are due before December 11. Thanks for your generosity!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.