January 19th, 2010
Spelling: None today due to reviewing ideas we learned about magnetism, before starting a unit today on electricity.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 57-59 are available and due Friday.
Reading: Today was a reading day in Literature Circles. Some groups worked on synthesizing as a reading strategy.
Writing: We talked today about breaking text into paragraphs. Here are the reasons to start a new paragraph:
- A new character starts talking;
- A new time in the story (time has passed);
- A new place or setting in the story; or,
- A new idea is brought up in the story.
Students also worked on editing their current piece of writing. The next piece of writing will be a fiction piece, due Friday, January 22. Students should be editing by now.
Math: None today due to extra time with Social Studies.
Science: Students made an electrical circuit using one bulb, batter and wire.
Social Studies: Due to Martin Luther King, Jr. Day being yesterday, we looked at images from the Civil Rights movement. We also sang and listened to some songs from the time:
View the presentation below:
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 0
- The second marking period ends Friday, January 29.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.