February 5th, 2010
Spelling: Today, we practiced writing compound words from clues:
- What is a spread put on a bed? (bedspread)
- What is a bird that is black? (blackbird)
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, were collected today.
Reading: Students previewed the new Literature Circles books today.
Choose Your Own Adventure Resources
- See examples of Choose Your Own Adventure fiction websites here and here
- Look through The Abominable Snowman Choose Your Own Adventure book (hint: search for “the end” to see some of the endings of the book)
- View the titles of all the Choose Your Own Adventure books to get adventure topic ideas
- Play Zork, a text-based computer came. Here is a list of commands and directions. Here is a map of the dungeon if you get stuck or lost.
Math: We reviewed adding and subtracting decimals today, and students completed a MiniQuiz.
Science: None today.
- Go to VirtualApple to play The Oregon Trail
- You will have to install an add-on to your browser to get the game to work.
- For Internet Explorer, a bar will popup asking you to install an add-on.
- For Firefox, you will need to click a link to install an add-on.
- Firefox seems to work best.
- Follow directions to refresh or restart your browser and you can play the game.
- If you can’t get any of the above to work, here is another way to play The Oregon Trail (but the colors don’t look as nice as the first option.)
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 5
- Report Cards were emailed home today.
- Our Feb Factor Valentine’s Party is Friday, February 12 from 1:30 pm to the end of the day. We need volunteers for food items to bring, including sloppy joe mix, buns, chips, and drink boxes. We also need family volunteers to help with food setup, cleanup and with the games. Click here to see the volunteer list and add your name if you are coming to the party!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.