November 7th, 2016
Spelling: None today due to our monthly class meeting.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles.
Writing: We talked about the important of prewriting today. If someone wanted to bake cookies, they should first take time to gather ingredients and plan their recipe. If someone started baking without having the proper ingredients, the cookies would not turn out very good. In the same way, prewriting is a time for students to gather ideas and plan the events of a story. Without prewriting, the student may leave out important “ingredients” that will make the story seem “half-baked.”
Students also started prewriting today. Our next piece of writing is a fiction narrative, due Monday, November 28. Homework is to work on prewriting, including planning the characters, plot of the story, and the settings.
Math: We practiced multi-digit multiplication today using Khan Academy. Homework is to practice math for at least 15 minutes using MobyMax Math or Khan Academy and to level up on any remaining multiplication skills (shown below).
Here are some Khan Academy topics your students should be finished with by now:
- Multiplication Without Regrouping
- Multiplication With Regrouping
- Multiplying 2-Digit Numbers
- Multi-Digit Multiplication
Science: Students completed an experiment about human variation related to sense of touch. Homework is for students to finish analysis questions 1-6 on p. 31. Also, any corrections to the last science quiz are due on Friday. Quiz answers can be found at JupiterGrades in the Tests & Lessons section.
Social Studies: Students started working on the Chapter 2 social studies test today and will finish it next time.
- Fall conferences are November 15-17. View, edit, or sign up for conferences online.
- Here are some some pics from the Hawaiian Beach Bash.
- Have you set up a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.