February 27th, 2017
Spelling: We started to review common spelling patterns for the /k/ and /s/ sounds. We noticed that a letter c can make both types of sounds.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles.
Writing: We talked about how to cite the source of a survey to use as evidence in a persuasive letter. Here’s an example that cites the name of the survey group and the date:
According to a survey of 1,323 people by Quinnipiac University in February 2017, 51% of people oppose restarting the Keystone pipeline.
- Introduction describing a public policy problem in America (vaccines, fighting ISIS, body cameras for police officers, healthy foods for schools, etc.).
- Their opinion about a solution to the problem.
- Some kind of data to support their opinion.
- At least one core democratic value to support their opinion.
- A conclusion restating their data and opinion.
A persuasive Letter to the Editor (guidelines) about a public policy issue facing the US will be due Friday, March 3.
Science: We tried to take a district science test today but were prevented due to technical difficulties with the testing website.
Social Studies: Students worked on a test about life in the colonies today.
- Our school is looking for some volunteers to help with the book fair March 7-10 during the school day. Please contact me if you can help.
- Spring conferences are March 7-9. Here is the schedule.
- Our class will be performing a class play in March. Here are the after school class practice and performance times. Hopefully getting the schedule early will allow everyone to work out scheduling conflicts.
- Have you set a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.